PC hangs for 2-3 mins at startup

galegge 14:51 30 Jan 11

Hi,

My sisters NEC Powermate pc is very slow at startup.

I get to the initial Windows XP (PRO - SP3) screen, but then it goes blank and hangs for betweeen 2-3 minutes then springs back into life and the welcome screen is then displayed.

I thought there may be something dodgey with the OS install and since I had another salvaged HDD to install I decided to see if a clean install would resolve the problem.

The XP cd includes SP2 and this did resolve the problem.

While I was adding the latest XP updates, I added 9 hardware updates and after this the 2-3 minute wait returned.

I started up in safe mode to see if that gave me an indication of a possible driver error, but the hang didnt occur with any of the safe mode options.

So is there any way that I can do normal startup but still have the same display as a safe mode startup as it installs each driver in turn, so that I can get an idea of what is causing the hang.

Or does anyone have a better idea to resolve this issue ?

Many thanks, George.

bremner 14:53 30 Jan 11

System Restore back to when it worked OK.

Install the windows updates 1 by 1 and see which causes the problem

bremner 14:53 30 Jan 11

The windows hardware updates of course

galegge 14:57 30 Jan 11

Hi Bremner,

Ok I will do that, as long as that is setup by default !!

Cheers, for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…