kingussie 09:44 24 Mar 04

I operate a Compaq pressario 1810 1998 model Windows 98. This was bought in USA. Problem is after 10 15mins use it seizes up and nothing works,not even Calt Del. I have to unplug and restart. Can anyone help solve problem

Sethhaniel 09:58 24 Mar 04

Sounds like its overheating

Legolas 10:04 24 Mar 04

I would check the temperature of your system as overheating could cause the problem you describe.

Gongoozler 10:06 24 Mar 04

Hi kingussie. The first thing you need to find out is if this is caused by hardware or software. If the computer fails after about 10 minutes even in Safe Mode, then you can be sure that the problem is caused by hardware. When it freezes, can you restart it immediately or does it need time to recover. If it does need time, then the problem is probably caused by a component overheating. Seeing the age of the computer, it is possible that it has the dreaded Via MVP3 chipset. This has a USB problem, so if you have any USB peripherals, this could be the cause.

kingussie 10:13 24 Mar 04

you are right,the very small fan at the rear has stopped working. Is it something i can replace my self ?

Gongoozler 10:26 24 Mar 04

When you say it's at the rear, wherabouts? If its not in the power supply is it attached to the case? Where is it plugged in? Most fans are easily replaced, but if it is very small then finding a supplier may be more tricky. Tell us the dimensions and shape and we'll see what we can do to help.

kingussie 13:00 24 Mar 04

kingussie 13:06 24 Mar 04

what is via mvp 3. Computer can restart immediately then last 10 mins 30 mins or more no pattern. Fan is off for most of time but then comes on after 20 mins

Gongoozler 15:41 24 Mar 04

If you install and run AIDA32 click here, this should tell you what motherboard and chipset you have.

kingussie 11:48 25 Mar 04

Have started PC in safe mode and it does not freeze. therefore presume i have software problem but how do i identify and resolve???

Gongoozler 17:09 25 Mar 04

Go to Start - Run. Type in the word msconfig, and click OK. In the window that opens click on Startup. There will be a list of programs, some with weird sounding names. These are the programs that start automatically when Windows boots up. Removing the ticks on any of the boxes will prevent them starting when your computer boots up. You can safely untck most of them to see which is causing the problem. Don't untick ScanRegistry, TaskMonitor, SystemTray, LoadPowerProfile. Most of the others, you can manage without for a time so see what happens. If none of that helps, it could be your graphics driver that is causing the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…