//some 3rd party need geo

PC hanging

Nagz 17:11 06 Jun 04

I am running windows XP and suddenly today I am experiencing constant problems with the computer hanging on start up, shut down and whilst running - all the time really! I have scanned for viruses - Norton picked up a malicious dialer program but it could not delete it. I have excluded it and as we have broadband I've assumed it shouldn't be a problem. This was received in May so I don't think it's causing today's problems - any ideas?

Fruit Bat 17:18 06 Jun 04

Install and run a spyware CW shredder and at least one more.

Anti Spyware :-
Spywareblaster click here
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
CW Shredder click here

/\0/\

hugh-265156 19:06 06 Jun 04

i would take Fruit Bat`s advice and try and remove any dialers and spyware anyway.scan with them all and delete anything they find.

dialers cannot dial out with broadband but may cause problems all the same.you dont want any junk like this on your system.

also have a check in start/control panel/administrative tools/event viewer and click the system and application tabs.look here for any errors displayed.

BBez 19:30 06 Jun 04

get Spyware Baster. click here Gives you good protection when used with Spybot - Search and Destroy click here

Nagz 20:32 06 Jun 04

Thanks for the tips - I will try them all. I have a problem with the dialer in that Norton couldn't delete it as it is part of a larger software program (apparently!). I have now excluded it which makes it difficult to get rid of.

Nagz 20:39 06 Jun 04

I have had a look in the event viewer. Consistent errors in the application tab were found in "event system" and there were numerous errors in system labelled "Dhcp" and "DCOM". Being a complete novice with troubleshooting I'm afraid I don't have a clue what these mean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…