PC Gremlins

twitcher 16:16 06 Jul 05

I recently purchased a new Compaq PC Running XP SP2. All was running well until last week when the following weird things started to happen:-

1. Whenever I shut down Outlook Express a message appears stating “To free up disc space, Outlook Express can compact messages.” I clicked “Don’t show me this again” and closed but it still crops up each time I use OE.

2. Whenever I shut down OE and IE I used to get a box giving me the option of staying connected or disconnecting. This has now disappeared even though I have the “Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed” box checked in IE Dial-up settings.

3. I have audio properties set to “No sounds” but after a short period of time sounds start and I have to reset Audio Properties.

4. I have personalised my screen saver to run after 10 minutes but this keeps reverting to the Windows XP screen to run every 20 minutes.

5. I tried restoring my computer to a period before this started happening but, although it went through the motions of restoration, I got a message stating that Windows was unable to complete the restoration.

I wondered whether I had a virus but I use Norton Anti-virus and when I ran it the computer was found to be clear. Does anybody know what’s happening and how to cure it?

Joe R 19:14 06 Jul 05

twithcher,

download these free prog's, and run them.

click here

click here

It's possible there may be some spyware lurking.

Dorsai 19:48 06 Jul 05

1. Whenever I shut down Outlook Express a message appears stating “To free up disc space, Outlook Express can compact messages.” I clicked “Don’t show me this again” and closed but it still crops up each time I use OE.

This message is suggesting that you do the "compacting" because it's a good idea to do it. The file storing your E-Mail will get bigger and bigger till you either compact it (IE make is smaller, by removing all the dross) or OE crashes....Why It's optional I don't know. OE should just do it, and not even ask....

2. Whenever I shut down OE and IE I used to get a box giving me the option of staying connected or disconnecting. This has now disappeared even though I have the “Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed” box checked in IE Dial-up settings.

Sounds like it doing what you asked. You told the PC to disconnect when connection not needed, so now it does not ask what to do, it just does it. Unless it stays conencted, that is...

3. 4 & 5.

Dunno. Sounds like the PC is confused.

Either that, or I am.

Try asking just one question at a time, next time...Rather than 5 all at the same time, perhaps?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…