is this pc good for £800?

mt50 17:57 30 May 03

hi, i've been looking for a new pc for a while now and this one seens good vale for money from time computers-
Processor : AMD Athlon XP2600+ processor
Memory : 1024mb DDR
Hard Disk : 160Gb hard disk
Graphics : ATI Radeon 9200SE 256MB graphics
Motherboard : KT400
DVD-Writer : DVD / CD Multi-writer
DVD : 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Firewire : 2xFirewire
TV-Out : TV-Out and DVI
Sound : 6 channel built in
Ethernet : 10/100 for networking and ADSL
Operating System : Windows XP Home Edition Verify
USB : 5x USB
Ports : Standard Serial and Parallel
Modem : 56k V92
Case : Full ATX case with 7 drive bays
Keyboard : Cordless multi-media
Mouse : cordless
Floppy : 1.44mb
Other Features : ConnectPro Memory Card Reader

what do you think is it worth the money? is there anything better for £800.
thanks.

BlitZace 18:18 30 May 03

I'd watch out if I were you. My friend saw a PC advertised with almost the exact same spec, and exact same price as the one above. There was a hidden catch however... after phoning Time he discovered that the system did not include any warranty and no software CD's such as a Windows installation CD. He was told he'd have to pay an extra £300 for this if he wanted it. Not only that but when he did decide to try and order the PC for the total price of £1100, Time took his credit card details and information which lasted over 15 minutes, then declined him from buying it (due to not having a full time job, but this was fair enough). A few days later though he noticed that Time had taken £52 out of his account, for nothing! It took him 3 weeks and multiple phone-calls before he recieved the money back. All I'd say is make sure you get all your facts and information straight before purchasing a machine from Time, or any other computer company for that matter. - JT

Ironman556 18:25 30 May 03

Looks good to me, but the DVD writer has probably added £150 minimum. If you don't want/need a DVD Writer, then you could get a better system for the same money without a DVD writer, and put on in at a later date when the prices have dropped a bit.

I'm not sure of the spec of the graphics card, there's a new 9600 Pro out which costs around £160, I assume it'd be better than the 9200SE, unless they've done somthing wierd with the numbering system. I only question the card because 256 MB RAM seems a lot to me, for a fairly standard card.

The other considerations are:

1) What do you want to use the system for?

2) Does it come with a monitor of some description? If there's not monitor, expect to spend at least £100 for a CRT and £300 minimum for a TFT.

Flopper 18:28 30 May 03

Time PC spec's are getting better but I have heard their customer service is not so good.
Some of the best PC's available are those advertised in the PC magazines, and constantly win awards for build quality. Some are slowly developing a retail presence and will almost certainly have a web site where (in the case of Mesh) you can almost have your PC built to your spec (and budget) and you can pick up a PC that was 'hot' recently but is now superceded by a later model. Also try Evesham Vale.

mt50 18:30 30 May 03

blitz thanks for the info that has put me off by not having a warrenty.

ironman- i've allready got a 15inch TFT monitor thats why i only want the base unit. and the graphics card does like they just maid it up or something.
thanks

Ironman556 18:35 30 May 03

Have a look click here for some info on the graphics cards, there's also click here for some comparisons of CPU's.

Ironman556 18:41 30 May 03

The graphics card's a new model, but is a little behind, it's still based on the Radeon 8500 I think, and only supports Direct X 8.1. I'm looking at getting a new PC in a couple of months, and at the moment the Athlon XP 2800 and Radeon 9600 Pro (Supports DX 9) are favourites for me.

canard 19:03 30 May 03

AND delivery is £50 plus £60 for start up disc from what I've heard.click here look good value and choose what you want item by item.Find out if anyone has used them before diving in.
click here we got one from here and it is good value while the firm are great to deal with. But we didn't want a WinXP.

961 19:18 30 May 03

Consider after sales service

Look on this site for problems by searching for manufacturers name

Look at PC Pro web site for details of their survey for after purchase satisfaction

Take your time (oops....sorry!)

Jomi 19:53 30 May 03

I just received an upgrade from Time which cost me 500 pounds, after a whole load of problems and the loss of all my data I've found that they fitted a lower spec motherboard than the one promised (via telephone) after waiting three weeks they finally sent the drivers cd, (I already downloaded these from the manufacturers websites) as for the motherboard their only comment is that they can't comment!

I HAVE got most of the upgrade I paid for but now I have to replace the motherboard to upgrade again in the future.

Jomi 19:54 30 May 03

I just received an upgrade from Time which cost me 500 pounds, after a whole load of problems and the loss of all my data I've found that they fitted a lower spec motherboard than the one promised (via telephone) after waiting three weeks they finally sent the drivers cd, (I already downloaded these from the manufacturers websites) as for the motherboard their only comment is that they can't comment!

I HAVE got most of the upgrade I paid for but now I have to replace the motherboard to upgrade again in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now