pc going doolally

toniclady 22:31 13 Dec 04

hi, i am running xp sp2, every so often i get loads of popups (not from the internet) from my computer, start menu, my documents, properties then pips come, it freezes me for about 40 seconds and i cant move. i have run avg anti virus, and found nothing. i dont know wot it can be....any ideas??????

Jeffers22 23:12 13 Dec 04

Are they Messenger popups? If so you need to kill off Windows Messenger. See this thread for the method click here

ICF 05:49 14 Dec 04

Run Ad-aware it,s a free download click here

toniclady 19:12 14 Dec 04

no they are not messenger popups....its the start menu, where all my programms are, it brings up the properties on everything, my mouse moves on its own, and like presses the buttons to open things up, and it freezes my machine, my documents opens up on its own, all this happens on its own....i didnt know if i had a worm or something, but ive run the avg and it says no virus present....i have been told to format my drive, but i didnt want to go to that extreme as ive only had the pc for 6 months

ACOLYTE 19:15 14 Dec 04

click here go here run the tests see if ports are open/closed,if it is a worm/trojan no doubt it will be getting/sending info from somewhere.

ACOLYTE 19:18 14 Dec 04

click here

free trojan scan might help too.

ICF 19:31 14 Dec 04

Download this click here

toniclady 19:49 14 Dec 04

i have NO virus/trojan/worm according to the scans i just made and also it said my stealth was ok....what else can it be?????

Buchan 35 23:16 14 Dec 04

toniclady, did you take ACOLYTES advice on his insert at 19.15. If you did ,forgive the intrusion, but if you did`nt, why not?

woodchip 23:28 14 Dec 04

If you have a Full XP disc, Not a Restore Disc, Put it in the Computer and from Start\Run type

SFC /SCANNOW press enter

toniclady 19:22 15 Dec 04

i did what ACOLYTES said and it showed nothing, i already have a spyware programme and a no trace programme and winspeed....they sat nothing is found....i dont have a full xp disc either, but i might be able to borrow 1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…