PC goes bang

wesparmalee 10:04 09 May 06

I plugged my pc in yesterday via the normal wall outlet, and there was a load bang.Now everything is dead, and i'm wondering if this is the PSU that's blown.The strange thing about it, is i didn't turn the pc on via the power button, it just happened as soon as i plugged it into the mains.I've removed the psu, and there is a distinctive smell coming from it, similar to the smoke that came out when it blew up.Is there any way of telling for sure if it's the psu that's at fault, and would this have caused any internal damage to the rest of the pc.Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 10:10 09 May 06

More than likely the PSU is gone and hopefully nothing more. They can be replaced fairly easily for about £20 or so as long as it isn't dell.

The only way to know that nothing more has happened is to replace it and see if it boots up.

Diodorus Siculus 10:10 09 May 06

More than likely the PSU is gone and hopefully nothing more. They can be replaced fairly easily for about £20 or so as long as it isn't dell.

The only way to know that nothing more has happened is to replace it and see if it boots up.

rmcqua 10:13 09 May 06

It'd almost certainly the PSU that has failed (electrolytic capacitor/s probably). No point in doing any more investigation, from what you have described. (The PSU is energised as soon as it is plugged in - it doesn't rely on the low voltage on/off button).
Try a new PSU - it's the only way you will be able to tell whether any further damage has been done to the PC. That's unpredictable at this stage, I'm afraid.

Southernboy 10:18 09 May 06

Are they a problem?

wesparmalee 10:18 09 May 06

I'm pretty sure it is the PSU.Is there anything i need to know regarding replacement of a PSU?What sort of price should i aim for?

MichelleC 10:22 09 May 06

I had exactly the same a few weeks ago. The smoke smell lead me to think it was the psu so I took it for testing to the local shop. It wasn't, and when I then replaced it the pc started as if nothing had happened. I think it was something else, as only now my dvd-rom and cd-rom don't work. It's probably down to a new mobo now.

FatboySlim71 10:24 09 May 06

Dell manafacture, or get others to, In a way that no other types will fit, this is true for a number of other parts in a Dell PC.

Totally-braindead 10:46 09 May 06

wesparmalee to answer your question. Assumming its not a Dell who do alter the pins of their power supplies, and you haven't answered that any ATX power supply will probably do unless you've got some sort of slimline case or a really old PC. You would really need to tell us what PC you have to advise better.
You are better getting a quality branded one thermaltake, enermax, tagan ,nexus, antec etc rather than a cheap non branded one. The higher rating ones are better obviously but are also more expensive and unfortunatly there is no way of telling if anything else is damaged until you replace it and power on.
I've only had one failure and it went with a real bang, fortunatly in my case there was no damage to the rest of the PC. I hope in your case it is the same.
Tell us more about your PC make/model for a start.

terryf 10:47 09 May 06

This happened to me and after investigation I found that the non-replaceable fuse inside the PSU had blown. I say non-replaceable because it was wired in and not a type that is usually available. If you could get a replacement it would entail taking the psu circuit board out. Anyway, get a new PSU

wesparmalee 10:53 09 May 06

My pc is an emachines 770, about three years old.The PSU is ATX.I know this probably sounds a bit silly, but studying the rest of the pc, i can't see any tell tale signs of damage, i.e black areas etc.I'm really hoping it is just the PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…