PC on go slow

chesterfield 14:06 20 Jan 04

Ive recently removed quite a bit of stuff from the hard drive of my PC and was hope that this might speed things up all round. I also defragged the hard disk expecting this might also be beneficial. Ive been used to having 3 or 4 programmes open at a time including Photoshop and Dreamweaver and this never caused any great problems re speed in the past. Recently Ive found that my PC seems to be struggling operate 2 programmes simultaneously and programmes regularly crash. Ive also founf that Outlook Express is taking more than twice as long to open the inbox.

I have a 40 GB hard drive, which is only 50% full, and 256 MG memory. I have an 1800+ AMD processor and am running Windows XP Home edition.

All advise gratefully received.

Cheers

Big Elf 14:36 20 Jan 04

You seem to have done the things that most would do. If you don't already have these though it might be worth downloading updating and running the following

Spybot click here

AdAware click here

SpywareBlaster click here

MichelleC 14:38 20 Jan 04

And you could run a test at Penelope Pitstop click here

Big Elf 14:55 20 Jan 04

Great link.

BurrWalnut 15:53 20 Jan 04

Although you haven't mentioned being hijacked, it's worth trying this if you get nowhere with the above solutions.

Download HijackThis from here click here and the interpretation tutorial from here
click here Double click HijackThis to unzip it then run it, click Scan, Save the results to a log file and check them against the tutorial.

Also download startups.exe from here click here to determine which programs are not needed at start up.

When you've decided what needs to be deleted, run HijackThis again, put a check mark against the items you don't want and click Fix Checked.

chesterfield 16:27 20 Jan 04

i think that part of the problem is due to an amazingly slow internet connection - having outlook express and internet explorer open along with other programmes is probably the cause of most of my problems.

I tried the test at Pitstop (thanks MichelleC!) and the report seems to suggest that other than the internet connection spedd everything is ok!

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…