PC Ghost's

Sealer 20:29 22 Jun 03

Perhaps not. But my pc keeps re-booting by itself, there is nothing thats common to make me think its a dodgy bit of software. It is also keeps crashing with a vengance. When I run scandisk i more often than not have lost file fragments. I am fairly sure i have NO Virus as i have checked with symnatec online and my checker is up to date.
Any ideas? could it be windows software corrupted?
win 98SE,512mb DDR,Athlon 900
Thanks for any help

keith-236785 21:09 22 Jun 03

Have you got S.M.A.R.T enabled in your bios

it might be an early warning that your hard drive is packing up.

also if you want to go inside your pc, check there are no loose cards/memory. is the cpu fan working properly (overheating can cause shutdowns) unlikely because you said about lost file fragments. worth checking though.

if you do go into your pc, remember to earth yourself by touching the metal casing of the pc (pc plugged in but wall socket turned OFF)and take care when handling memory, don't touch the chips.

Sealer 21:16 22 Jun 03

What is S.M.A.R.T ?
I have been inside and all connections seem firm and fans are running fine. would a failing hard drive shut down\re start my pc? Also after a crash when I shut down with my power button, it re starts 2 or 3 sec's later. Mmm Ghost's?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…