PC generating buzzing noise?

oo7juk 22:41 02 Jun 06

Hope someone can help.

I recently upgraded my pc recently and ever since I've been gettinh a buzzing noise from the PC. It hard to explain the noise sort of distorted buzzing noise. I have changed my power supply, installed new memory and changed my keyboard. I had some compatability issues with my memory but the shop replaced the item no probs. I asked them if they could hear noise noise but they said no. They said the only thing that was noisey in my PC was my video card but apart from that nothing else.

It's really annoying and hopefully someone maybe able to help, thanks.

howard63 22:45 02 Jun 06

the only moving parts are fans, disk drives and optical drives. Open the case and identify the general direction of the buzz. It could be vibration from a loose screw etc., or something touching the case.

DieSse 22:50 02 Jun 06

Usually it's a fan, or a vibration from a panle of loose part.

The only way to find what is to carefully stop each fan in turn for a second or two (no more) - and go thought the system listening carefully, and touchong various parts (not components) to see if you can find which it is.

The fan on the graphics card sounds a good place to start to me!

DieSse 22:51 02 Jun 06

panle of loose part.

panel or loose part - it should read!

rdave13 22:54 02 Jun 06

There is a thread about lubricating fans here somewhere but I can't find it. By "video card" I assume it's a GPU or graphics card fan. Try removing the graphics card and thoroughly clean it of dust. Think someone mentioned a toothpick with a drop of WD-40 on it and just dab a miniscule drop on the fan bearing. Remember to "earth" yourself before opening the case.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:03 02 Jun 06

To lubricate a fan gently peel back the sticker on the center of the fan ther should be a small hole.

Place ONE small drop of very light machine oil in the hole. Replace sticker.

Warning
Too much oil will cause the fan to spin the excess oil over components that will not tolerate it and cause severe damage.

terryf 23:36 02 Jun 06

Use a long cardboard tube to help you locate the source of the sound

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…