PC game with "copy protection"

Fleetblue 23:50 23 Feb 08

My stepson recently bought a PC game "Ancient Wars - Sparta" which will not run on our PC. After several attempts I noticed the following in the instruction booklet "NB This game is protected by copy protection. The DVD must be inserted into the DVD-ROM drive to play the game. Unfortunately our DVD drive appears to be DVD+/-RW. Does this mean that this particular game is useless as far as our PC is concerned, or is there any way round this?

woodchip 23:55 23 Feb 08

If the DVD+/-RW is in the computer it should work ok. Unless it sees that it is a RW drive rather that a DVD Rom Drive

Diemmess 08:02 24 Feb 08

I would have thought that any CD/DVD burner is at least capable of READING a CD or DVD?

Can you play any ordinary DVD? This should prove whether the drive is behaving itself.

eedcam 09:10 24 Feb 08

May well be as said the fact that built in protection senses its a writer .Try leaving the disc in when you shut down and see what hapens on start up. Also can you explore the the disc

bowman 09:43 24 Feb 08

I've come across this problem once before, Its not always the CD/DVD player thats the cause. It can be the software that you have on your Pc.

If you have any software that can copy/clone a cd/dvd on your Pc then the program finds this and stops you installing the programe/game.

eedcam 11:12 24 Feb 08

Games Protection is way above and beyond Movie protection An RW drive on its own is enough to alarm it

tullie 11:40 24 Feb 08

All my games play ok with my dvd r/w,regardless off what ive got installed.Does it install?Is it compatible with your o/s?

Fleetblue 12:21 24 Feb 08

Many thanks for all your answers. I'll try to answer the questions raised.
1 I can play ordinary DVD's
2 I don't appear to have any copy/clone software installed.
3 The game is compatible with my o/s. It installs up to a certain point then an error message appears asking if I want to "carry on to debugging" or "cancel". No matter which option I choose the screen freezes at that point.
4 I haven't tried to explore the disc. As soon as I place it in the drive, Autorun takes over and installs it up to the point mentioned above.

citadel 13:57 24 Feb 08

see if you have starforce.
right click my computer , properties, hardware, device manager, view, show hidden devices, expand non plug and play drivers, right click on any starforce and choose disable.

eedcam 14:57 24 Feb 08

Just found If you have Vista and an ATI graphics card it will not run

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…