pc game causes serious problems - pse advise/help

argus 23:35 02 Apr 03

I recently purchased a new pc game which came on the market about 3 months ago. I am hesitant to name it because I am not sure of the leagal recriminations. They have a well supported web site and have stated my problems and my personal opinion that the game is at fault and the software company should not have released the game without more testing. I gave my own opion in that I should put the game in the bin!!!. Since I posted that thread I have not been able to get onto that website.

The probles i have experienced are as follows:

Old PC; Windows 98se, 1.0 Gig. 40gig HD, 512 ram
graphics Hercules 3D Prophet SE.

Initially installed game and found that after a short while the mouse freezes and the only way out was to crash my system. Unfortunately this problem started to affect everything on my pc in the same way. Managed to get onto the games website and they advised to upload new patch and check on any new drivers for graphics. Did this and same problem eventually developed.
Tried uninstall,re-install, reloading drivers, re-installing graphics even reinstalling Windows 98 but the problem still developed. Eventually had to format hardrive and re-install. Note have not re-installed game as the pc is now basically only for my college work being a 3rd year full time mature nursing student.

New PC(delivered yesterday)
Windows home XP, 2200 AMD Athelon, 80gb HD, 1024mb RAM.Graphics Hercules 3D Prophet IIMX 64MB

The same problem has developed. Have tried uninstall, reboot system before game installed even re-installing XP.

Pse advise/help on the following:

1. Can u format HD on my new pc. On my old pc, windows 98, went thru F8 into ms-dos to format. cannot see how to do it on new pc.

2. Cannot understand how a game could cause such trouble and be in the market place. - Pse comment. Upon your advice I will reveal name of the game.

3. Is it possible for the games website to exclude me from their site ?

Note: I am not that computer literate so any advise has to be in step by step instructions pse. In writing this I have had to crash my system twice.

woodchip 23:45 02 Apr 03

To sort your prob with the new comp you should start comp with the restore CD in the computer

pc moron 23:46 02 Apr 03

Your new PC should run all the games currently available just fine.
Which game?

TOPCAT® 23:53 02 Apr 03

... not name the game if it was purchased legally.

You will probably have to check the publisher's website for patches since release, and read of any known issues with the game. If, after doing these checks the game still corrupts your PC, then I would uninstall it, remove all traces of it from your computer and return it to the vendor.

If your new PC is still under warranty you will violate this if you format the hard drive.

TOPCAT® 23:53 02 Apr 03

... not name the game if it was purchased legally.

You will probably have to check the publisher's website for patches since release, and read of any known issues with the game. If, after doing these checks the game still corrupts your PC, then I would uninstall it, remove all traces of it from your computer and return it to the vendor.

If your new PC is still under warranty you will violate this if you format the hard drive. TC.

argus 01:13 03 Apr 03

The game is Hearts of Iron, purchased through a popukar pc game retailer.

The website support area lists technical problems and some people have experienced similar type problems.

powerless 01:26 03 Apr 03

"If your new PC is still under warranty you will violate this if you format the hard drive."

Kyomii 02:06 03 Apr 03

>>>"If your new PC is still under warranty you will violate this if you format the hard drive."<<<

Eh? I am interested in this statement - I have never come accross or read anywhere that formatting the hard drive "violates" the warranty or (invalidates) it either - if it does, then its not much of a computer company!

I know that some company's will not allow you to go inside the computer and the warranty is void if you attempt to do so, (warranty void sticker on back) but formatting does not require any tampering whatsoever!

Is this a new condition of sale?

TOPCAT® 08:47 03 Apr 03

The brain wasn't fully in gear!! Ignore the format remark. :) TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…