PC full of clutter, and spyware

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 22:37 02 Jul 04

Hi all,
Checking my C drive,it seems I have thousands of files that are duplicated, here there and everywhere. I am too apriensive to (continue, cos I have started) to delete anymore stuff cos I am worried i will delete something vital to the running of the PC, and my windows. I have loads of spyweare, even though I have downloaded and run spy sweeper, I have diskeeper light, and AD Adware, but the PC is so choked up. My wifes profile apears in all users.....Please help me totlly clean my PC so I can start again....Whist ensuring I put the files I need (My documents, photo's etc) in a safe place...I am running windows 98, have no start up disks, but have some blank disks. (I say this cos my floppy A drive is currently out of commision)

As Always, my ineptness finds a home...:@)

Dan the Confused 22:56 02 Jul 04

TuneUp Utilities 30-day trial click here

CleanUp! click here

EasyCleaner click here

Spybot S&D click here

click here

Online AV click here

All the above will help clean your PC of unwanted stuff and optimize it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:12 02 Jul 04

Temporary File Cleaners:-
Crap Cleaner click here
Empty temp folders click here

My problem is that things seem to have copied themselves all over the shop, i.e. there are about 20 copies of outlook express in all sorts of folders, there is so much stuff on here it is mind boggling. What I need to do is, save the stuff I need (And to be fair, this is mainly a few word documents, and a few photos etc), and totally clean my pc, so it is back to the state when the man in the shop gave it to me.

Hope this can be done.....:@)

sattman 16:39 03 Jul 04

With the sort of mess that you describe, cleaning it is going to be a big job especially if you not fully conversant with the system.

I would think that it is essentiall that you now have to spend a lot of time and patience to back up anything you need first

Only then can you start to sort and remove duplicated and uneeded folders and sofware

It is most likely that a complete format will be the only way to get back to a clean system.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:45 03 Jul 04

IClaudio 16:53 03 Jul 04

then back those up (to CD if you have a writer) and then re-format. Much quicker and safer too.

ZEROTOLERANCE 17:19 03 Jul 04

but i too have a vey similar problem, how do you go about reformating??

ZEROTOLERANCE 17:44 03 Jul 04

VoG II 17:48 03 Jul 04
  ZEROTOLERANCE 18:11 03 Jul 04

thats too heavy for me, would a shop charge much to do it for me?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…