PC freezing and very slow reboot

Jimbo Blue 17:04 13 Feb 07

Hi all,

I have a PC running XP Pro SP2 and am experiencing more and more freezes. A reboot used to solve it, for a while at least, but now even the reboot hangs at the 'Press DEL to run Setup' screen for at least 1-2 mins and sometimes much longer.

A friend and my ISP suggested it may be memory. I have 1GB but am wondering if it is failing. How do I find out? If not memory any ideas about what else it could be? All my fans appear to be OK so don't think heat is an issue.

Pls don't get too technical 'cos I'm not a techy.

Thanks

Jim

lotvic 19:31 13 Feb 07

with pc switched off, open the case and take out the ram memory stick then put it back in (reseat it) making sure that it is in properly with the clips at each end. Now switch the pc back on and start it up.

If it still won't work then you will need 'memtest86' click here to test if it is faulty.

(cut&pasted from another thread - credits to skeletal forum member)
"In essence, you need to download this and create a bootable floppy or CD. You can then run this outside of Windows which is more reliable. Basically, you don’t want anything else to run at the same time as the tester, because they could conflict and give misleading results."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…