PC freezing on startup

griffo 18:42 20 Nov 05

Sorry if this has been covered before but I can't do a search in Helproom for some reason!

Have a W98SE PC that gets to desktop when booting but then freezes. Scandisk said it was 'searching drive C for cross linked files'.

Any suggestions please?

Diodorus Siculus 18:43 20 Nov 05

Boot into safe-mode - press F5 at startup till a menu appears.

If it boots ok, run scandisk.

Then

start

run

msconfig

under the startup tab disable anything that is not needed.

griffo 18:56 20 Nov 05

Hello DS thanks for the response, have started in Safe Mode, rab Scandisk - found nothing. Can you guide me on what is necessary in msconfig please? Also, what do I do after unticking the non-essentials?

griffo 19:43 20 Nov 05

Unchecked one item in msconfig (can't remember what it was now!), anyway it allowed the PC to boot but with the following error message:-

'Assertion failure at line 646 in file D:\nt\private\windows\setup\setupapi\diamond.c: h==0
Call DebugBreak()?'

Of course, I know exactly what that means - not!

I clicked on yes - the message re-appeared, so clicked on No and it's gone for now and PC is working.

My son (who uses this PC) says he has seen this message before. Anyone know what this means please??

griffo 18:57 22 Nov 05

back to square one - really would appreciate some help here folks?

VoG II 22:09 22 Nov 05

Can you actually access Windows? If so please post what is listed on msconfig's Startup tab.

I'm surprised to see a reference to an NT folder on a W98 machinee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…