PC Freezing on start up

mrthewanderer 20:15 12 Aug 09

I am getting an intermittent fault about once a week the PC freezes on start up and I have to shut down and restart, normally it just freezes again.
I have found the only way to get over the start up problem is to disconnect the hard drive and reconnect then it will run without problems for a week or so and then it starts again.
Any ideas?

johnnyrocker 20:27 12 Aug 09

depends what you have and how old?

johnny

birdface 08:44 13 Aug 09

I suppose it could be the PSU on the way out.If an oldish computer check the air vents are not clogged up with dust or fluff.if so inside will also need cleaning out.While inside check all fans are working ok.

PcTestCard.com 10:18 13 Aug 09

Reset the CMOs and remove all jumpers on the HDD, let the board to recapture the drive.

Maybe the mainboard harddrive controller is getting faulty.

Hope this helps!
Bill

woodchip 10:24 13 Aug 09

Do a scan of the Hard Drive, Double Click My Computer Right Click C:\Properties\Tools\Check Disc Tick the box to auto fix problems

How hold is your computer and what OS does it have? How much RAM is there and what is your processor. Do you here any sound when the PC startup and is there a clicking noise. If there is it might be the PSU if your computers over 4 years old. But it may be a lot worse if your PC is 2 years or older is could be a failing hard drive. Backup all you Data quickly. If it is a failing Hard Drive it could mean that the Blue screen of Death is far away!

mrthewanderer 19:04 16 Aug 09

Thank you all I will look at all of your reply's and
work from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…