PC freezing on boot-up

Gateshead 21:23 20 Jun 05

The first time I use my pc during the day it boots up fine, however, if I was to switch off the pc for say 20mins, the next time I try to boot up it tends to hang at the XP splash screen and I have to leave it unplugged for an hour or two before I can use the pc again. Although it doesn't happen all the time it is becoming more frequent and is becoming a real pain. The pc is only 18 months old and I use a surge protection device. Anyone had similar problems in the past?

woodchip 21:46 20 Jun 05

Ether CPU overheating or PSU weak, getting ready for a new one

Gateshead 21:50 20 Jun 05

I don't know if that's the cause as it's been going on for a while now and there is a decent amount of room around the base unit for air flow.

woodchip 22:37 20 Jun 05

Try the Side of the Comp We are having some hot weather

gudgulf 22:44 20 Jun 05

Take the side off the pc's case and check that the cpu/graphics card/psu and any case fans run when it is switched on.Should any not work then you need a replacement and overheating is the probable cause. If they all work ok then shut down the computer and unplug from the mains supply.Remove the ram memory then refit it and do the same with the graphics card(if it is a seperate card).Check that the IDE ribbon cables(or SATA if that's what you have) are fully pushed into the motherboard/hard drive and cd/dvd drives.Reboot and see if things have improved......Connections can become loose over time so it's a good idea to do this even if you discover a dodgy fan.

If this fails then woodchip may be right and the psu might be on the way out.

Gateshead 21:37 23 Jun 05

Thank for the suggestions folks but all the fans are running, i've tried running the pc with the side panel off and have removed all the components and leads and reseated them but problem still persists. I'm not the brightest with pc's but would the pc actually come on at all if there was a problem with the psu? Just asking before i spend money on a new one.

woodchip 21:53 23 Jun 05

Yes it can. But it may be on it's way out, this can cause all kinds of weird things. It sounds like a Component that's overheating. It is a hardware problem and nothing to do with windows as Windows does not even start

woodchip 21:59 23 Jun 05

PS the PSU is the cheapest thing to try first

Gateshead 22:08 23 Jun 05

Thanks Woodchip, i'll give it a go.

Ironman556 11:08 25 Jun 05

Have you fixed the problem? It may be your RAM, run Memtest from boot up, click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…