PC freezing up.

Rufus Tanner 21:46 06 Jan 05

A guy I work with tells me that his PC has started to freeze up if he stops using it for a couple of minutes, he then needs to reboot it as he can't get it to respond. He tells me that he's not installed anything recently and he runs McAfee virus scan and firewall (I noticed some topics on here claiming virus scans and firewalls could be the cause) but the McAfee has been running fine for six months. He runs XP.
Any thoughts?
Many Thanks.
Steve.

Giggle n' Bits 21:56 06 Jan 05

is it ok till the machine warms up then I would suggest a heat problem.

He needs to have a look inside for starters to check all fans are spinning. AGP Graphics, CPU HSF, PSU has 1 or 2 fans inside just shine a torch in grill (Do Not open PSU)

Then I would run a HDD test, I have seen HDD's when they get warm and have a fault they freeze

Then I would run CCleaner, Stinger, CW Shredder

Check all windows updates.

Thinking about it, has he just got the Windows XP SP 2 installed this could be causing a compatibilty issue with other software or Hardware.

Think there is enough to go on for now but call back for more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…