PC Freezes/Reboots using XP

spencer boy 21:56 11 Apr 04

have XP home edition on my pc and it too crashes/freezes frequently (started about 2 weeks ago). With all the 'microsoft error' messages it says it is something to do with the SiS Display Drivers not being updated or maybe faulty or mis-matched memory. Have downloaded the latest SiS AGP drivers (1.17) but can't seem to get a new 'updated' driver. When running the DirectX Diagonistic Tool - the test on the Direct3D Acceleraton works on Direct 7 but fails on Direct 8. Have used Direct 8 for a long time without problems so i would guess that somewhere along the line i have downloaded something that has caused the problem (i but i haven't downloaded/installed any new hardware/software). I am a bit stuck at the moment. Can I run a memory check in XP or is there a good free piece of diagnostics software about on the web. Any help would be great.

hugh-265156 22:01 11 Apr 04

xp ships with direct x 8.1 so there is no reason to go back to version 7.

what is the exact sis error?

do you know the exact chipset model and have you tried the generic sis drivers from click here

spencer boy 22:01 11 Apr 04

Restored well before problem started but problem still exists. I have just noticed on click here that there is a download for 'SiS SiS650/SiS740 Family Chipset Graphics Driver (Windows 2000/XP) 2.22 pop' that was posted on 25/03/2004. My display device is an SiS 650_651_M650_740. So maybe this is the answer. Shall have a go down this path.

hugh-265156 22:09 11 Apr 04

to play safe i wouldnt.

i use the proper generic sis ide and chipset drivers with no problems whatsoever.

are you still using onboard graphics or have you updated to an agp or pci card?

spencer boy 22:12 11 Apr 04

Hi huggyg71,

Had a look there (used their chipset detection option) but didn't know (18Mb file) if this was the right thing to do. Going to download and find out.

Thanks.

hugh-265156 22:14 11 Apr 04

what motherboard do you have.make and model no?

is this a retail mobo or of the shelf computer packard bell etc?

spencer boy 22:20 11 Apr 04

Am Downloading the proper driver from the SiS web-site. I am using an integrated Sis AGP grapics card (came with the pc package).

spencer boy 22:20 11 Apr 04

Am Downloading the proper drivers from the SiS web-site. I am using an integrated Sis AGP grapics card (came with the pc package).

hugh-265156 22:25 11 Apr 04

are you trying to play games with the sis650 onboard graphics when you get the errors?

some new games wont run on the 650 onboard chip,in fact some old games will run but very badly.would be best if this is the case to get a buget graphics card.

spencer boy 22:43 11 Apr 04

The problem occurs regardless what i am doing - extremely irratating when you are typing a letter or e-mail and it crashes - (on the net, playing games, just everyday typing away or not doing anything with anything running). Never had any problems before. Not too sure where i can find motherboard information - tried the usual places but nothing pokes me in the nose (not too used to this side of pc's).

hugh-265156 22:49 11 Apr 04

download and install aida32 click here any version.

click "computer/summary" and look at motherboard info for info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5