PC freezes at 'Windows is now shutting down'

jediknight007 02:28 06 Jan 03
  jediknight007 02:28 06 Jan 03

Hi, I have tried searching through the many posts here at PCA for information about shutdowns but I still haven't yet managed to solve my problem.

I had just upgraded to a Duron 1.3Ghz yesterday and on the first 2 times I booted up to Windows XP Pro successfully, I managed to shut down the PC with no problems. However, during those 2 times I had the PC on, I had to set up the onboard sound on my K7S5A mobo until it was right. Since then, whenever I try shutting down or restarting, it's alright until it gets to the message 'Windows is now shutting down' (can't remember the exact message, can't be bothered to shut down just to write it down). The PC then freezes and I can't seem to move the mouse and the Num, Caps and Scroll Lock keys don't work.

If I try restarting manually by using the reset button, it does it's job but I have to go through the scan thing when I boot up and I'm too impatient to wait for it to pass. The same thing also happens if I manually shut down using the power button. However, if I use any of these 2 buttons when the shut down procedure has frozen, the scan thing doesn't come up the next time I boot up.

I have tried this site that a lot of people are recommending but I can't seem to enable APM which I think is because my PC is already APCI (or ACPI, can't remember) and therefore, I don't have the APM tab under Power Options. I do however have the Hibernation tab and disabling the option makes no difference. I have also tried finding the patch for when Windows XP freezes at shut down and I tried through Windows Update and the problem is still unsolved. Does anyone know any other methods that I can try and where else I can find this patch or a similar one? Thanks in advance if you have time to read this.

« Ravin » 02:45 06 Jan 03

here are some ms kb links:

click here

click here

jediknight007 03:12 06 Jan 03

It says on the 307274 that the fix is on the Service Pack 1 but I have just installed that today and I still have the problem. Any other useful info anyone?

jediknight007 19:31 06 Jan 03

Ok, I have managed to find the file but when I try and install it, it says that my Windows isn't the right one. I have checked my Windows build and it is 2600. Anyone have an idea why I can't install this patch? Or is there another patch which will prevent my PC from freezing when I attempt to shutdown or restart?

jediknight007 23:30 07 Jan 03

anyone please?

Timeforabeer 23:45 07 Jan 03

Hi jediknight007.
You probably don't want to hear this ,but,i had the same problem a few months back and the only way i got rid of it was when i had one of my periodic re-format and re-install sessions (about every 6 months). Up untill then i just had to live with it. Sorry i can't be of more help.

stuntmaster 15:02 08 Jan 03

I have this With Windows Me. Exactly The Same Prioblem.

one Question. Do you Have an onboard network card?

if yes then that is the problem. well it is on my pc anyway.

But I cannot disable it.

my pc used to shut down but when i installed the network drivers. it would not shut down and would not play MIDI files or use the MIDI port.

regards stuntmaster.

jediknight007 21:36 10 Jan 03

Nah, I don't have a network card installed. Well, I'm gonna go and reinstall Windows XP. Should I just stick my CD in and reinstall it or boot up with it and go to repair?

VoG™ 22:00 10 Jan 03
  jediknight007 02:34 11 Jan 03

I have already tried that link and mentioned it in my original post (probably not clear enough). I know a lot of people have been recommending this site but nothing on there helps.

I have also just repaired my Windows XP by booting up with the CD but the problem still occurs. Since I reinstalled Windows XP, I was also able to finally use the restarting windows patch but that didn't solve the problem. Well, I guess it's a complete format of my hard drive then. Unless there are any other suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…