PC freezes when browsing bitmap files

camilla11 11:05 10 Feb 08

Hi everyone, my father is busy writing his memoirs. He has scanned all his photos in and just recently this happens. While browsing the folder for the photo to insert, after clicking on say half a dozen it freezes up. Can anyone help please? OS is XP Home, and using MS Works word processor and the photos are bitmaps.

Diodorus Siculus 11:39 10 Feb 08

Not a solution but perhaps a workaround if the files don't need to be bitmap format...

Try a batch conversion from Bitmap to tiff or another format. Irfanview will do it quickly and easily.

camilla11 11:49 10 Feb 08

Thanks Diodorus Siculus, we'll try that. What is Irfanview?

Diodorus Siculus 23:16 10 Feb 08

click here

IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista.

It is trying to be simple for beginners and powerful for professionals.

IrfanView is trying to create new and/or interesting features in its own way, unlike some other graphic viewers, whose whole "creativity" is based on feature cloning, stealing of ideas and whole dialogs from ACDSee and/or IrfanView! (for example: XnView has been stealing/cloning features and whole dialogs from IrfanView, for 7+ years).

IrfanView was the first Windows graphic viewer WORLDWIDE with Multiple (animated) GIF support.
One of the first graphic viewers WORLDWIDE with Multipage TIF support.
The first graphic viewer WORLDWIDE with Multiple ICO support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac