PC freezes on start up

tes 10:37 10 Dec 10

Sometimes it freezes with no icons on the screen sometimes with just the white arrow. If I do a reset it starts ok. Any ideas anyone?

jamesd1981 10:41 10 Dec 10

could perhaps be a hardware fault possibly memory, try running some diagnostic software like SI SOFT SANDRA, you could post your specs so we can see if maybe you have low memory or similar.

birdface 11:35 10 Dec 10

If an old computer check that the air vents are not clogged up with dust and fluff,if so inside will also need a good cleaning out.

tes 12:36 10 Dec 10

Windows 7 64bit
Athlon cpu x 64
4gb memory
Vents clear

Les28 16:49 10 Dec 10

Has it just started lately? Maybe a couple of programs trying to run a scan at startup? Has it started since you've installed some new program or done a major update to another program? How does it boot in safe mode?

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 10 Dec 10

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

tes 07:34 13 Dec 10

Thanks all.I'm sure it is the power supply.Can you help me with the choice of a new on.My case is a antec sonata 2, i nead a psu about 500w & would like one with the fan at the top/bottom! but it would mean the fan facing down. Would this be a problem. My existig psu has the fan @ the back.

onthelimit 09:50 13 Dec 10

I believe that to use a standars ATX PSU, in which case I like the iCute as they are very quiet click here. Lots of others to choose from, though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017