PC FREEZES ON START UP

LaneFarmHouse 11:54 21 Apr 04

I have a 4 month old Packard Bell P4 Desktop. It freezes on the opening Windows window (the one with the green lines moving across it) about once a week. If I then go to "safe mode" I can usually go to an earlier restore point to make it boot up properly. I am advised that the problem may be related to Norton 2004 Professional. Is this true and how can I overcome it? With many thanks.

Any advice would be much appreciated

FEEBS 13:37 21 Apr 04

I had the same problem albeit on Windows 98SE. It seemed to be very much temperature dependant in that in the warm weather (over 62 deg.F) it didn't freeze. If I restarted the computer after letting it run for a few minutes it was ok. It appeared to be faulty hardware and a new hard disk cured it. It still occasionally does it, when it does I shut down and restart - it starts in safe mode and when I select "normal start" from the options it loads ok.
Assuming with a computer that new then you'll be running Windows XP so maybe it's worth using system restore to go back to a point when it doesn't happen - have you installed anything that may have caused it?

FEEBS 13:38 21 Apr 04

PS I have Norton 2004 but this happened a long time before installing that.

LaneFarmHouse 11:52 23 Apr 04

Thanks. PC World refuse to accept that this is a hardware problem and insist that it is software related.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…