PC FREEZES ON START UP

LaneFarmHouse 11:54 21 Apr 04

I have a 4 month old Packard Bell P4 Desktop. It freezes on the opening Windows window (the one with the green lines moving across it) about once a week. If I then go to "safe mode" I can usually go to an earlier restore point to make it boot up properly. I am advised that the problem may be related to Norton 2004 Professional. Is this true and how can I overcome it? With many thanks.

Any advice would be much appreciated

FEEBS 13:37 21 Apr 04

I had the same problem albeit on Windows 98SE. It seemed to be very much temperature dependant in that in the warm weather (over 62 deg.F) it didn't freeze. If I restarted the computer after letting it run for a few minutes it was ok. It appeared to be faulty hardware and a new hard disk cured it. It still occasionally does it, when it does I shut down and restart - it starts in safe mode and when I select "normal start" from the options it loads ok.
Assuming with a computer that new then you'll be running Windows XP so maybe it's worth using system restore to go back to a point when it doesn't happen - have you installed anything that may have caused it?

FEEBS 13:38 21 Apr 04

PS I have Norton 2004 but this happened a long time before installing that.

LaneFarmHouse 11:52 23 Apr 04

Thanks. PC World refuse to accept that this is a hardware problem and insist that it is software related.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced