pc freezes on right click for contect menu

plonk777 21:01 10 Feb 06

hi

Would anyone please help?

Recently when I right click my mouse for the context menu, on any dirctory, folder or file icon in windows explorer (XP)or perhaps a quik launch icon in the taskbar, the egg timer appears but no menu and the system freezes. I then have to log off via task manager and log back in again. Strangely this does not apply to a drive icon in explorer, nor when I'm using my web browser.

I have restored the system 2 o 3 times , defragged, ran various tools in Norton System works, reinstalled the driver for my mouse without success. Now I'm at a loss.

Regards

marshallp777

VoG II 21:06 10 Feb 06

Try the System File Checker click here

plonk777 09:06 11 Feb 06

hi

VoG

Thanks for our advice. However the sfc / scannow didn't appear to run. The DOC command window appeared for a split second without me able to read any message.

Regards

Plonk777

Graham ® 09:21 11 Feb 06

Note the space.

plonk777 10:04 11 Feb 06

Hi Graham

I have noted the spaces in the address, but the scan does not appear to run, other than a command window appearing for a split second

regards

gudgulf 10:55 11 Feb 06

It could be a bad context handler in the rt click menu,click here

Graham ® 11:31 11 Feb 06

Only one space - sfc /scannow

plonk777 13:52 11 Feb 06

hi

Many thanks Graham, gudgulf and VoG. Problem solved - context menu handler left from software I had removed.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…