PC Freezes & Restarts

Double A Tech 23:36 25 Dec 06

Hi,
I’m new to this forum, but I hope you can help me. I have recently been having a problem with my home PC. Every so often the computer will freeze and then automatically restart. This mainly occurs when playing games.

In the last month I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, processor & fan, graphics card, and memory, so the new spec of the PC is:
Operating System - Windows XP Home Edition - Service Pack 2
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory - 1024MB RAM
DirectX Version - DirectX 9.0c
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE
Display Memory - 256.0 MB

The upgrade was performed by a very reputable PC company in Manchester, and so I don’t think it can be the work I had done is faulty. I don’t really have much idea what it could be, I had the thought it may be computer overheating so I removed the side panel, but it continued to crash and restart. I had a thought that my power supply just cant cut it anymore, and i should of upgraded that also? I didn’t know if after the upgrade I should have completely reinstalled windows instead of just using the repair option, or if I did completely format and reinstall Windows, would this will help?

Any help of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex

jarvis10@btinternet.com 23:44 25 Dec 06

hi, this was happening to me after installing 7600gt, was running a 300 watt psu upgraded to 530 cured the problem for me, have you tried start>run 'sfc /scannow' to gheck windows is in order? may help.
but sounds like the problem i had, it only did it whilst playing heavy hitting games, what psu do you have?

Double A Tech 23:54 25 Dec 06

I currently have a 200w PSU, sounds like this could be my problem ?? Any more suggestions would be good

User-312386 00:02 26 Dec 06

That PSU is very low wattage

I would buy at least a 400w PSU

That may not be your problem though, it could be that your CPU may be overheating

Go into the BIOS and please advise of the current CPU temperature please.

I have the same 64 3700 processor as you

jarvis10@btinternet.com 00:30 26 Dec 06

trust me, you need a bigger psu, mine was 300 watt hp 3 month old and couldnt cope.
amd 3500+, 2 gig ddr2 & 7600gt of course!
i bought click here
good luck, and hope you had a good xmas

ForestChav 00:32 26 Dec 06

you need 500 W for that spec.

Double A Tech 16:50 29 Dec 06

Hi again. I installed a new PSU in my PC, a nice 700w supply, but when I tried to run the same games I still had the same problem. Like was mentioned, I thought it could of been the CPU overheating, so I removed the side of the case to give it more air flow, but this didn't fix it.

If anybody has any more ideas as to why my PC keeps doing this, and more importantly how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again

jarvis10@btinternet.com 18:31 29 Dec 06

download click here click on sensor and post back temperatures, sorry was sure a psu would sort your problem out

woodchip 18:54 29 Dec 06

IT sounds like ether, Heat or Memory Problem. Try your computer with the Side off. Check the CPU fan

User-312386 19:09 29 Dec 06

Like i said, can you please go into the BIOS and advise us of the temperature of the CPU

To go into the BIOS press the Delete key at startup and look under PC health status. Wait at least 5 minutes to get the true reading and report back

Double A Tech 11:46 30 Dec 06

Hi, thanks for all your help so far its been really appreciated. I downloaded the Everest software to get the operating temperatures and they are as follows:

Motherboard - 29'C
CPU - 35'C
Aux - 41'C
GPU - 63'C

Now to me the Graphics temp seems a little high but all the others seem ok?? Anyway, let me know what you think

Thanks Again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced