pc freezes, refuses to boot up

GuyR 17:03 16 Sep 05

I am getting V fed up with my PC, running xp home, amd system 2400hz prcessor.

First signs of problems was that occasionally sytem would freeze, no mouse movement etc. The other day it froze on shut down, power down and restarted only for boot error message to come up asking for system disk.

No real joy with this either. eventually system re-booted even though did nothing with it.

System then shut down on its own and went into restart mode and agin failed to boor.

Re-installed windows over old installation as repair windows with xp needs you to identify which area needs fixing!

ran ok for a few days now has stopped again.

My guess is that I'm going to have to reformat drive (maxtor 80gb) and then re-load whole set up. Fortunately data is on a 2nd drive.

running avg anti virus.

daxian 17:35 16 Sep 05

hi GuyR....sounds like an over heating problem ,have you checked the system temps at all ?
it could also be your harddrive on its way out ,so be prepared for the worst and back up any important stuff to the second drive....

woodchip 17:44 16 Sep 05

You may have Virus. Have you checked got AV???

GuyR 11:28 17 Sep 05

put drive onto second machine as system does not get past list drives and address ports.

Second machine unable to read any data off the disc and initially would not format it.

now managed to format disc and done a drive check seems to be OK will take a gamble and re-use as drive for OS.

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…