pc freezes randomly

stubrow 19:04 19 Feb 08

hi all pc freezes randomly but always while attempting defrag sometimes even lose cursor so have to manually shutdown and restart os xp pro any help appreciated

mrwoowoo 19:13 19 Feb 08

Does it take a while after start up or immediately after, before it starts freezing.
If it takes a while it could be overheating.
Lots of things it could be.
click here

stubrow 19:22 19 Feb 08

no it doesnt freeze for hours sometimes but always when i attempt defrag

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:41 19 Feb 08

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

xania 08:51 20 Feb 08

There is a significant increase in disk activity during a defrag, which would exacebate any heat problems, so that's where I would start to look. Check for anything in the way of the air flow or obstructing free movement of fans (IDE cables etc) and make sure all fan blades are clean.

stubrow 16:46 20 Feb 08

thanks for advice but fans etc seem to be fine and cleaned with compressed air can and psu is a good quality one have run anti virus and none detected tried latest and previous graphic drivers to no avail could it be hard drive problem?

citadel 16:49 20 Feb 08

try a different psu as I had two thermaltake psu's that caused the same problem you have.

woodchip 17:50 20 Feb 08

try running this if computer will keep running.
click here

woodchip 17:51 20 Feb 08

sorry i see it above

stubrow 19:05 20 Feb 08

respect to fruitbat and woodchip but how do you run memtest im not that hot on stuff like that and will try the psu change as well thanks citadel

woodchip 20:51 20 Feb 08

you need to load it to a floppy and start the computer with the disc in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced