PC Freezes Randomly

eric_cantona 17:32 12 May 06

I wonder if somebody can help me.

My laptop has begun a rather annoying habit of freezing randomly, and I then have to reboot the PC manually (CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't even work - nothing responds)

It had been running fine up until recently when I upgraded the computer's memory from 512RAM to 2Gig or RAM.

So naturally I wondered whether this was to blame, but I ran a RAM memory diagnostic tool and no error's popped up! (see click here )

I have since reinstalled windows XP and the problem stil ocurrs, seemingly at random!

It is extremely annoying.

Can anybody advise me as to what the issues may be, or what kind of diagnostic methods I can use to try and work out whats up?

(I have all the latest drivers for my devices and Windows Update is up to date, and no viruses or spyware too...)

Any help is gratefully appreciated!

Gongoozler 17:45 12 May 06

Although the memory diagnostic tool doesn't show any problems, I still think that is the cause of your troubles. If your memory is in more than one stick, try with only one or other of them installed. If you bought your memory from Crucial click here, they guarantee that it will work in your configuration.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 12 May 06

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

As you have effectively done 4/5/6 suspect heat or a PSU thats slowly dying.

gudgulf 17:58 12 May 06

This could also be caused by the computers memory controller struggling with a full 2GB of RAM onboard........particularly if you are using low latency modules.

You could try booting into the BIOS setup and selecting manual settings for the memory.

Look at the settings that are there and choose the next highest setting.......for example if you see CAS latency of 2.5,try setting it to 3 (or from 3 to 4 etc)

Change only the CAS latency to begin with.

If your memory is trying to run faster than the controller can cope with it will lead to lock-ups such as the ones you are getting.Whats more it will do this even if there is are no faults with the memory modules.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…