PC FREEZES RANDOMLY

toonarmynufc 19:14 05 Jul 04

AMD ATHLON 1.33 ON ECS K7S5A MOTHERBOARD RUNNING WINDOWS XP PRO,512MB OF BRANDED SDRAM,ONBOARD SOUND,ATI RADEON 9200SE GRAPHICS CARD,TWO NETWORK CARDS,ONE LINKED TO NTL BROADBAND CABLE MODEM AND THE OTHER TO A SECOND COMPUTER.SYSTEM TEMP IS APPROX 38 DEGREES AND CPU TEMP IS 51 DEGREES ON AVERAGE

THE COMPUTER FREEZES AT RANDOM TIMES WHILST USING
IT AND CTRL ALT DEL WILL NOT WORK.A RESTART IS NEEDED TO CONTINUE.

SWOPPING THE GRAPHICS CARD FOR A GEFORCE 2MX BRINGS THE SAME PROBLEM,HOWEVER THE USE OF A 4MB PCI GRAPHICS CARD CURES THE ISSUE.

THIS FAULT CONTINUES USING THE LATEST DRIVERS AND DIRECT X VERSIONS.

Dorsai 19:24 05 Jul 04

Sorry, BUT YOU ARE SHOUTING.

This aside, 51 sounds a wee tad hot. Should not really be enough to cause a problem, but my CPU while browsing never goes above 42. and My system temp is 34...Could your CPU heatsink/fan need a clean?

Do you have pets (dog/cat etc), the system box on the floor, smoking makes it worse also, and a PC over 18months or so old? If so i would check for a gunked up fan.

Diodorus Siculus 19:25 05 Jul 04

May need the correct motherboard drivers... is there anything available? The AGP drvers could need upgrading?

Or what is your PSU rating? It may be that it is not powerful enough...

toonarmynufc 19:30 05 Jul 04

The psu is a 350w and the recommended agp drivers are those windows xp installs by default.System is about 3 years old but the fan is only about one year old.May try and reseat it using thermal paste.

Dorsai 19:44 05 Jul 04

At about 1 year (for the heatsink/fan) i would expect a bit of a build of goo on the fan. i would be tempted if i were you to have a look at the heatsink/fan and see if they are in need of a clean. I have to clean mine out about every 6 months. Pet hair+tobacco smoke = Sticky goo.

toonarmynufc 20:32 05 Jul 04

thanks for the quick replies, i have cleaned the heat sink and fan, reseated it with thermal paste, i'll let you know what happens...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…