PC freezes and monitor switches itself off

crsf 21:10 10 Jul 05

For no apparent reason - ie I've added no new software or hardware - my Windows XP (Home) PC keeps freezing. I've noticed that when it does, the little yellow light that indicates that the hard disc is working goes out. Sometimes it freezes with the screen on; sometimes the monitor switches itself off and then system freezes. The yellow light also goes off. Norton Antivirus is up to date and I've managed to keep the system going for long enough to complete a full scan: no viruses revealed. The only other peculiarity is that Zone Alarm has difficulty remembering its settings, but I've put that down to the fact that the sytem doesn't shut down properly - I have to press the restart button, or, when that fails, switch off the power. Is it the hard drive playing up? Grateful for some advice before I do something rash and replace the 5 year old desktop - which had fine - been working with something more up to date

Ivor_Monkey 22:07 10 Jul 05

It may be the hard drive. You should download the hard drive test programm from the manufacturers website. As a precaution, back up.

Having said that, zone alarms can cause problems, so don;t dismiss that link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…