pc freezes and i can only use in safe mode

stephen0205 11:33 12 Apr 07

hi em im not shure if this is hardware or software faults, my pc has the following spec.

pentium 4 3.0ghz
1gd ddr2
256mb nvida geforce 6200
socket 775 motherboard
dvd rw
belkin wifi dongle
tv tuner

it has a fresh install of media center 2005 ( real retail cds )
it was installed sucessfully and installed all y software sucessfuly and worked fine for the night , now after installing the updates the pc gets logged in and everything is unusable, i cant close items on the right hand corner in the task bar (e.g msn, quicktime) also i cant do anything , i click on internet explorer and it dosent open or highlight, but the clock seems to change time properly, so the only way i can use my pc (as i am now) is to run on safe mode with networking to use the internet with no sound. Any ideas. thanks

ventanas 11:42 12 Apr 07

This seems to be happening quite a lot lately. I got it yesterday. This fix worked for me. click here

ventanas 11:44 12 Apr 07

I meant to add. It is obviously connected with the Windows Updates, a corrupted download etc.
No idea which one is causing it though. For the moment I'm leaving them alone.

stephen0205 13:18 12 Apr 07

i tried repairing windows and at 76% i got a missing file erroe, i took out the disk and cleaned it and then clicked retry and it rapaired sucessfully but same problem, the pc still freezes and im still using safe mode. any other ideas

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:52 12 Apr 07

If you have successfully done a repair then I suspect you have a driver problem.

Try disabling drivers one at a time and see if the problem goes away, once you know which driver it is you can reinstall or update the offending driver.

stephen0205 17:28 16 Apr 07

thanks anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009