PC freezes and doesn't recover

lonemascot 20:09 10 Feb 08

My PC is about 15 months old and running on XP. It has 1024MB of RAM and a 230GB HD.

It worked fine for ages but then started freezing a lot. After pressing the reset button numerous times I guess the original HD was pretty much nakerd as I couldn't even format it.

I bought a new HD and reinstalled a pretty basic amount of software etc. Now sometimes it still freezes even when just looking at digital pictures in folders.

Is there something wrong with this hardrive or is it more likely to be corrupted memory modules?

Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:21 10 Feb 08

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

lonemascot 20:28 10 Feb 08

can't be overheating as i can hear the fans and it sometimes does it when the PC has only been on a few minutes.

PSU voltages are protected by a Belkin surge socket.

Power surges are protected same as above.

faulty memory stick....?

can't possibly have a virus as i formatted the HD and reinstalled only windows and Norton.

I have the latest graphics card drivers etc.

As this is a recurring problem, and the PC has been at two separate addresses im going to assume that the memory is faulty unless you have any other ideas.

skidzy 20:34 10 Feb 08

I suggest you take Fruit Bat /\0/\'s post seriously lonemascot.

Have you checked the fans are clear from dust;
This means your graphics fan if you have one,your heatsink and any casefans.

Although you can hear the fans spinning,they maynot be spinning efficiently.
This could also be a failing psu.

Have you tried running the system without Norton installed ?

ellie82 20:38 10 Feb 08

once you have tried those suggestions, if no joy maybe try and borrow some memory? and see if that makes a difference. I would guess it is not very likely to be faulty memory tho.

Although, if you want to try it i have found crucial memory to be cheap and reliable! fast delivery etc.

sunny staines posted this earlier,not tried it personally but maybe worth a look.
click here

lonemascot 20:45 10 Feb 08

ok. if the fans are spinning how can I tell if they are spinning efficiently? is there a temperature difference across the fan that i should get?

Also how can I test a PSU? 240V AC in and ??? V DC out? Is it likely to dip the supply or just be too low or high constantly?

I haven't tried running without Norton, but why would that be a problem as all my other PC's have been fine with it.

skidzy 20:58 10 Feb 08

Every machine is different in its own way.

Norton is a reknown resource hog,just an idea to see if a buggy update is causing your issue.

Psu tester click here

Speedfan click here this may depend on your motherboard if it works fully.

skidzy 21:00 10 Feb 08

Every machine is different in its own way.

Norton is a reknown resource hog,just an idea to see if a buggy update is causing your issue.

Psu tester click here

Speedfan click here this may depend on your motherboard if it works fully.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac