pc freezes with cd rom

Newby 09:29 04 Nov 03

I have a digital camera and I load my photographs via Kodak Picture Easy on to a CD Rom rewriter. A couple of days ago I used Adobe Photo Delux to manipulate some photographs - changing backgrounds, etc.- converted the modified photographs to jpeg and stored them in my "Oct. 2003" file. I tried to open the oct 2003 file, but it just froze,no matter what I did I could not open the file. My computer must have frozen several times in my attempts. Con, Alt,delete did nothing, esc. did nothing. The only way out was to restart my computer and eject the cd while it was flashing. I have had minor problems with my computer (as we all do after a time) and consequently reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled (most) of the programmes but the problem persists. I now am unable to open the cd rom at all and consequently cannot access any photographs taken since feb 2003.
Has anyone any idea how I can gain access to my cd rom disc. It is certainly the disc has some corruption but I don't know how to ovdrcome it.
Hopefully thank you.

James-286079 12:11 04 Nov 03

Try accessing the CD-ROM in DOS mode and use xcopy to put the files back on your HDD.

When using CD-ROMs it is not usually a good idea to have any more than three characters after the dot.
Try calling it Oct.03 or Oct_2003 while using xcopy and create the CD again.

I can't guarantee it will work though!

UppyJC

James-286079 12:13 04 Nov 03

Type "xcopy /?" (without the quotes!) and the command prompt to find out how to use xcopy if you don't know.

UppyJC

James-286079 12:14 04 Nov 03

The "and" should read "at" in my last message.

Newby 14:55 04 Nov 03

uppyjc,
I have managed to copy all of my photographs from cdrom to hard drive, using desktop shortcut to cdrom, then to a new cdrom disc using adaptec cd. I have not yet managed to copy Oct2003. I know it's daft, but - how do I get into dos using windows Me?
Thanks for your help so far,
Newby

bretsky 16:37 04 Nov 03

In windows go to start programs accessories and your looking for command prompt, click on that, and your in dos....good luck Bretsky.....

James-286079 15:48 05 Nov 03

But... If there is no shortcut, click Start, Run and try "command".
If this doesn't work, try "cmd".

Let me know how you get on.

UppyJC (James)

Newby 12:47 01 Feb 04

uppyjc and bretsky,
Apologies for not responding sooner. I had one or two problems with my computer, so I have reformatted, partitioned and reloaded operating systems and programmes. At the monent everything is running alright. Thanks for your help.
Newby

Newby 09:51 11 Feb 04

As a matter of interest I fitted a PCI card in my computer to allow me to install an additional hard drive (a while ago) and my zip drive seemed loathe to eject. I have since removed the PCI card, loaded both my 2oGB and 60GB drives with all my operating systems, programmes and drivers -disconnected my 20GB and partitioned my 60GB. My zip drive funtions normally now. The view has been expressed that the full "instructions" for my zip drive were not getting through the PCI card. Whether this is correct or not I don't know but, right nw (touch wood) all is well!
Again, thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…