PC freezes after installing antivirus software

Missuschicken 22:45 18 Jan 03
  Missuschicken 22:45 18 Jan 03

I have bought my student daughter a second-hand pc from a trusted friend. I restored it to factory settings and uninstalled the unwanted programmes. I then installed Office 2000 and Zone Alarm and set up her internet connection. Everything worked fine until I installed Norton Antivirus.Every time she clicked on Internet Explorer (6), the pc froze. I uninstalled Norton thinking it was causing the problem. I then downloaded and installed Grisoft's AVG. Again, the pc froze when she clicked on I/Explorer. The only way she can connect to the internet is if there is no antivirus software installed. Any ideas how to solve this problem?
Her pc's OS is Windows 98 with 128MbRAM and a 20GB hard drive. Athlon processor.

Forum Editor 23:03 18 Jan 03

ZoneAlarm - have you accepted the default settings?

Take a look at the permitted programs, and make sure that IE is allowed to access the Internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…