pc freezes after about 10 minutes

jessie .x..x.x 21:08 21 Aug 03

hello !!

I have recently installed xp on a pc and if you leave the pc for about 10 minutes after bootup the egg timer appears next to the cursor, the mouse is still able to move the cursor around until i press the right button on the mouse then the pc tower beeps once and the screen freezes.

ctrl/alt/del will not reset the pc i have to press the reset on the tower. HELP...

jessie xxx

bof:) 21:33 21 Aug 03

oglemire 21:39 21 Aug 03

if exactly the same time period passes on each occasion you should try switching off your power saving features.. also you may see the cause by looking through your event logs. Both these are acheived through the control panal .. power options / administrative tools.

jessie .x..x.x 21:52 21 Aug 03

I have even disabled the screensaver and still it is doing it. Why does my tower do a short beep ?? is this an error beep or something??

oglemire 21:56 21 Aug 03

a short beep when booting means that the post check is ok... if you have more than one beep then its a problem... try what I suggested.

jessie .x..x.x 22:01 21 Aug 03

I get a short beep also when the egg timer comes up, i press the mouse button a few times whilst the egg timer has mysteriously appeared the tower beeps once and screen totally freezes.

I have looked at the logs and well, dont really understand much what it is trying to say.

bof:) 22:14 21 Aug 03

are you getting any error messages?

oglemire 22:21 21 Aug 03

if you get stuck with the logs you can do this: does the same error event (red circle with a cross) get logged each time the pc freezes. If it does get the event id look it up on the ms knowledge base. do you have apm or acpi enabled in the bios/ under power management. i may be barking up the wrong tree but what occurs when your pc is idle? this is the answer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…