PC Freezes

JamesClark 22:28 27 Nov 05

Hi - I have Windows Home XP and suffer from seemingly random PC freezes. When the happens, the screen hangs and CTRL/ALT/Delete will no respond so I have to use to reset button to reboot.
There are no events logged so I cannot tell what it causing it and no common programs that are running. I have updated my graphics driver and all other drivers are up to date (there are no conflicting ones as far as I can tell). Tonight, I was carrying out a virus scan only, left the PC and came back to see that there was another hung screen. My pc is 3 years old and has always been ok, I have just switched over to Broadband but have the latest driver for that...
Any ideas what I can try next?

alan227 22:32 27 Nov 05

Power supply unit
Cpu fan
Memory
Any one of these could cause you problems.

JamesClark 22:38 27 Nov 05

Hi alan - thanks for you reply. How can I test these?

gudgulf 23:20 27 Nov 05

Has the computer case been opened during those three years?

If not you might have a build up of dust/fluff in the cpu heatsink and fan and all the ventilation holes on the pc case.It would be a good idea to remove the side of the case and check.

Then with the side off switch on the computer....make sure that all the fans on the cpu/graphics and case fans if fitted are working.

There will be fans in the power supply...see that they work too.

JamesClark 23:26 29 Nov 05

Hi - I appreciate your advice. I have never opened the case so have now cleaned this out - it was very dusty. So fingers crossed this should resolve the problem..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…