PC freezes

steveS42 22:07 09 May 05

When I am on my carp fishing forum after a while eveything freezes up, I cant access any page. When I exit the forum I still cant access anything on the aol homepage. I keep getting messages saying internet explorer has encountered a problem and has to close or a delayed response message. In the end I have to restart the PC. It will work for a while then freezes up again. I am on broadband not dial up. It is really getting frustrating. Can somebody help, please.
Cheers. Steve.

Jak_1 22:22 09 May 05

What os, CPU and RAM?

steveS42 22:35 09 May 05

Not being pc literate youll have to explain.

the kopite 23:59 09 May 05

Try repairing internet exploere start controll panel add remove programs click remove internet exploere and a option to repair internet exploere will be give try that kopite

steveS42 11:06 10 May 05

I went into control panel, add/remove programmes but internet explorer does not come up in the list.

woodchip 11:08 10 May 05
  steveS42 11:51 10 May 05

neither of the two options for windows xp work.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:17 10 May 05

Type
sfc /scannow
in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.
This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

Also clear out your temporay internet folders by Tools - Internet options - temp internet files elete cookies delete files.

DJ Supreme 16:39 10 May 05

I used to use AOL, found it crashed quite often, if you need to report back on system information, you could goto: Start > Run > and type "dxdiag" without the qoutes, this will report back any errors incase its a directX issue, and will provide you with OS name (Operating System) and RAM (Random Access Memory).

CHeers

steveS42 19:35 11 May 05

Answer for JAK 1: ---
What is CPU. My os is M/windows xp home edition(5.1,build 2600) and my RAM is 192MB.

Answer to Fruit Bat:---
I did the system file checker and restarted my pc at the end. I have cleared my temp int folders and deleted my cookies, now I have to log on to everything from scratch, never mind.

Answer to DJ Supreme:---
Done what you suggested and all DirectX is ok.

Basically, does this mean that int exp is a load of rubbish and that I should change my browser and if so, will this affect my aol account.
Thanks for the help so far.

DJ Supreme 13:18 12 May 05

i switched from AOL to Telewest Broadband, for £17.99 im on 512Kb Broadband, and i use Opera Browser, would never go back to AOL anymore

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…