Pc Freeze

chocolate cake 17:51 08 Nov 06

Please can anyone help? My home PC (Windows XP) loads up but when I try to access the Internet the cursor changes momentarily but then stops, therefore I cannot get on t'internet.

I have run a virus checker and it stated there are 2 virus's & recommended cleaning them. I OK'd it but then it froze & I had to re-boot. I cannot remember the name of the virus detected.

This has happened when I try to open up the control panel or other programs & when I shut down using Task Manager as the shut down process begins the program that I was trying to open then opens for a second & closes because the computer is now shutting down. I have had the computer just 12 months so wondered if it should be formatted & start again? I would prefer not to if at all possible.

I tried booting into SAFE mode and running the virus scan again and it still freezes.

I have read that disabling system restore and running the AV may work. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Posted on behalf of a colleague.

Pineman100 18:05 08 Nov 06

Are you able to identify the date when the problem started?

If so, then I certainly wouldn't disable System Restore, as this will lose all your restore points. I would use it to restore back to a date before the problem started.

Bear in mind that you will lose any software that was installed after that date, but you won't lose data files.

chocolate cake 18:46 08 Nov 06

Point taken. As I said I'm trying to resolve this for a colleague and he doesn't work in the same office.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…