PC finally gone up in smoke!!

FMAddict 10:00 01 Aug 10

Okay, i bought a Dell Dimension 5100 back in 2004. SInce then i have upgraded it etc but since moving it home i cannot get it to power up. Light to the mobo but nothing when i/o pressed.

I have been doing some investigation and by the time i have replaced the parts that it could be!! (everything basically) i'll have spent more than it would cost to buy a new PC.

So, this is the tricky bit. I am looking for a new base system, probs around a quad core/i7 (or anything you peeps recommend) with about 16gb ram, HDD max i can afford and i'll just buy a mint graphics card seperate and plug it in myself.

BUT....

I have loads of old files and apps on my Dell Dimension 5100 HDD, i really want to plug this into my new system and either:

a. if the new PC don't come with an o/s use the Win XP on that or

b. use the drive as a slave and transfer apps and files to new PC's HDD.

Main apps looking to transfer and use would be antivirus, itunes, nero etc.

New PC for general use but also play the odd game.

I know i've gone into detail but i wanted to give as much info as poss. If anyone could reccomed a system and how to transfer my old HDD i would very much appreciate your help, i am really just looking for the simpliest solution possible (i've already looked at another dell but they have a new range, inspiration, which apprently uses a different HDD system/commection that the Dimension did!!?_

Thanks in advance.

Diemmess 10:55 01 Aug 10

a) new PC usually has OS already loaded. You can choose which OS to buy but will need to pay somewhere for a new OS.

b) I recommend - put the old HD in an external case matching EIDE or SATA whichever the old HD is.
This way will avoid warranty problems opening a new PC and always be handy for backup as well as transferring your old data to the new machine.

c) - onwards - Be prepared to have to install all major apps fron their original CDs as well as other programs which you have downloaded from the past.

New PC? It's a huge wide market and warrants a separate thread, or at least a good read of many posts on the PCA forum

ronalddonald 23:03 01 Aug 10

try click here they do plenty of base units.

ronalddonald 23:10 01 Aug 10

you could try click here

Terry Brown 14:15 05 Aug 10

If you have had a computer since 2004, and have done 'Some investigation', you obviously know your way around the computer system, , so why have you posted in 'Absolute Beginners'?

Terry

onthelimit2 15:39 18 Aug 10

try taking out the hard drive and putting in a caddy and plug into a new computers usb and see f you can access the old files using the windows xp operating system,

or try placing in the new computer and boot up and see if you can access that way, however xp may ask you to format the drive.

lotvic 19:01 18 Aug 10

or whoever you are today

your post is nonsensical

woodchip 21:29 18 Aug 10

You will not be able to use the Operating System From the Old Computer. As its tied to that PC. You will be able to use the drive either fitted as a slave in the new computer or fit it in a USB Caddy to get your files off and use it as a backup drive. How do you know the old pc as gone up in Smoke?

First thing to check is the PSU by Substitution

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now