//some 3rd party need geo

pc fails to start after installing software

woodwar 20:38 16 Nov 03

after installing any new software\hardware drivers my pc will not re-start, it boots up to the windows screen then freezes just switching it off on again has the same result or it offers safe mode, if I leave it for 15 minutes or so it boots up normally and runs ok unless I play games, they also freeze although most play for a short time first. I am running windows 98se and have formatted the drive and re-installed windows, this also causes the screen to freeze while the winows installer is going through the driver database and system settings.

any ideas.
woodwar

MichelleC 21:15 16 Nov 03

Are there any yellows in device manager (around the graphics card area)?

woodchip 21:55 16 Nov 03

This could be a Overheat problem

woodwar 22:03 16 Nov 03

no yellows in device manager michellec but I do sometimes lose advanced settings for my gforce 440 mx graphic card in the display settings and have to re-install the drivers, they are the lateast drivers from the nvidia web site.

vinnyT 11:30 17 Nov 03

Sometimes the latest Nvidia drivers issued are not the best and can cauase stability issues, esp if you have a fairly old card, try using the drivers that are 1 or 2 versions back, these should be more stable and will enable you to diagnose any probs with your graphics card.

choffe 11:42 17 Nov 03

windows 98 has a shutdown issue, as does win me.
aparantley 98se shuts down before it has catalogued the installed software, check the update center for the fix, and also try running any ram optimisers ordidk maintenance wizards to see if the issue can be resolved.
it is also worth checking to see how much free space you have left on your hdd, and if you have enough, create a partition and install a 2nd copy of 98se on the hdd.this way you should always manage to re-start and if need be migrate any software between os partitions.

woodwar 17:48 22 Nov 03

thanks for all your sugestions, its now sorted. turned out to be the motherboard, only found out after changing just about everything else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…