PC fails to boot up.....

carlos 11:49 22 Apr 03

Be very grateful for advice. Every time I start up my WinME 1Ghz PC it turns off, after very briefly displaying "error in user.exe......". If I start in safe mode get same. If I start with step by step mode, PC freezes after pressing enter at " msmouse.vxd" line. Then get same error message. Have checked out previous "user.exe" threads but others seem to be able to access PC. Thanks

spikeychris 13:43 22 Apr 03

click here and wait for it to redirect you.

Chris

spikeychris 13:52 22 Apr 03

I'm at work so I don't have the flecc link and the make a shorter link is playing up. Just get rid of the spaces in the below and paste into your browser.

http:// support. microsoft.com /?kbid=243372

carlos 15:49 22 Apr 03

tried it but after asking if it should overwrite ddeml.dll I pressed Y it carried on extracting. Then up came the a prompt. At this stage I assumed I would , according to instructions, remove startup disc( and, presumably, the Win 98 disc?)then shut down. I then restarted and......brief flash of "error loading user.exe....." I presume it hasn't overwritten the file, cos the machine shut down.
Oh dear!

spikeychris 18:45 22 Apr 03

although it doesn't say so, I would at the a:/ prompt type win and hit enter. If that fails type c and hit enter then type win and hit that there enter key again....

Chris

jeez 18:56 22 Apr 03

I think user.exe is part of the registry? if so scanregw should help

spikeychris 19:05 22 Apr 03

USER.DAT is part of the registry.

Chris

jeez 19:08 22 Apr 03

aah, I knew it was user.? what is user.exe used for then?

spikeychris 19:17 22 Apr 03

User.exe runs the Start Menu. It also moves Windows and does.....stuff :o)

Chris

carlos 09:17 23 Apr 03

Thanks spikeychris.Sorry for delay....PC at work. I re-overwrote the file and typed win at a prompt - "bad command..." same with c:\win. I presume that overwrite is negated if I turn PC off at a prompt? ( because I can't boot into windowsME at a nor c prompt?)

carlos 10:04 23 Apr 03

Thanks for advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…