Pc Dying.?????

Demora 12:52 25 Apr 04

I have a feeling that either my motherboard or proccessor is on its way out. Mobo is KT7(RAID) and chip is AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.3GHz. about 3.75 years ol.

The problem is is that it turns off when it feels like it. I first thought it could be a psu problem (and still could) BUT its now decided to turn itself off after only 4 minutes of being booted up.

ANY IDEAS PLEASE. I don't want to go out and buy this bit or that bit for it as I had intended to salvage the good kit from it and rebuild something in the Autumn.

wee eddie 20:24 25 Apr 04

If the period is usually the same or reducing as the whole thing warms up? It could be overheating.

First port of call should be a good clean up in side. A powerful jet of air is the best thing, particularly blowing through the fan casings in both directions.

wee eddie 20:26 25 Apr 04

It sounds like a good solid office machine that will serve well for years if given a little TLC.

Demora 20:40 25 Apr 04

I did the cleaning up thing. The timing differs from day to day. The only place that was hot at all was where the mains plug goes into the socket on the back of the case. Its been on now for twenty minutes. (BTW using a laptop at the moment)

With the age of the machinne I don't want to spend too much money if its on its way out. Just salvage the good stuff from it.

woodchip 20:50 25 Apr 04

First try a complete clean inside your computer including CPU heatsink. As you say after the above, I would agree on PSU on it's last legs

wee eddie 20:54 25 Apr 04

The heat may be caused by a loose connection

wee eddie 20:56 25 Apr 04

When working around the PSU. Unplug and leave for 20 minutes, to avoid shocks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…