pc dumping physical memory

tony tony tone 21:25 08 Oct 03

my pc spec-shuttle sn41g2 tower/motherboard,athlon xp2400 processor,512 corsair ddr 333 mhz,western digital-caviar 80gb 7200rpm hard drive.
hi can any one help me with this problem im having with my pc,the pc will start up with no problems and run ok,after a short period(normally while playing a game)the pc will lock,if left the pc will go to a blue screen saying the pc has stopped to save it from being damaged and has started to dump the physical memory(you can watch it dumping the memory on the screen)does anyone know why it does this and how to rectify this problem.my operating system is windows xp home
Tony

gold 47 21:30 08 Oct 03

You are running software that WXP doesn't like did this start after a game was loaded??

Simon_P 21:38 08 Oct 03

This is done by XP to enable you to send it to Microsoft to be analised.

It will either be a small mem dump of a full mem dump, that will depend on how your PC is set up.

the file will be in the windows folder and will have the extesion ".dmp"

As far as I know you cant stop it from happening, and is probably caused because XP has incompatability problems with the game or other software that you have installed as "gold 47" has said

hugh-265156 21:46 08 Oct 03

if it happens a a certian point in the game then there may be a patch to fix it.

updating your graphics card drivers to the most receint versions may also help.

Ivor_Monkey 21:57 08 Oct 03

I think this might also occur when a strange cocktail of programs are running. If one programs hangs then the cocktail may result in the BSOD. For exmaple, running something like kazaa at the same time as an online gaming may give you a BSOD if kazaa hangs. On their own they might be OK. Just a thought.

Look at the event history

tony tony tone 00:36 09 Oct 03

the pc started doing the dumps(no jokes)before i installed this game,it first dumped one day while using kazza so i removed kazza thinking that was where the problem was originating from,if thats any help

gold 47 01:17 09 Oct 03

You may think you have deleted Kazza but have you done a seach for any remaining files???

tony tony tone 06:26 09 Oct 03

thanks for all the responses,gold 47 yes all files have been removed

Cesar 13:20 09 Oct 03

I had the same problem, although I do not run games, I had upgraded my memory and it was incompatable, after installing the correct memory it was fine.

What error code does it give on the blue screen?

This will be a hex number, starting with 0x

If you are getting an error that ends with 0008E then Microsoft are aware of this and a fix will be included in the next Service Pack (according to the Microsoft KB).

Are you running ZoneAlarm? I have had this cause a blue screen before. The ZoneAlarm site gives instructions on what to do if this is the case.

tony tony tone 01:08 10 Oct 03

again thanks for the responses,cesar by memory are you talking about ram?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…