PC doesn't start properly most times

orangewhiteblue 19:14 23 Feb 04

Hi

I have a Athlon 800, on an Asus A7v motherboard, 512mb memory, Asus GeForce4 440mx 64mb. Connected is a Dell D1025HE monitor and a HP Deskjet 930c printer. Running on XP pro.

The problem I have is that when I switch the computer on the power supply fan and disk drive appear to be starting i.e. I can hear a fan spinning, but then it all stops and I'm left with two flashing green light on the case.

Soe times it just goes to flashing light with no signs of even attempting to boot up.

I then have to hold down the power button to fully switch the computer off.

Sometimes I can go through this process 7 or 8 time before the system start running properly and then it's fine. I could leave it on all week and it would still be running.

Any suggestions to what it could be?

Simon

R4 19:24 23 Feb 04

Does pressing 'RESET' do anything ?

orangewhiteblue 19:28 23 Feb 04

No

Start, right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, System, select an error at the appropriate time. Action, Properties may indicate the problem

orangewhiteblue 19:50 23 Feb 04

I've had a look at this and at the last time this happened the following was recorded 'The WIA service entered the running state'.

WIA - Windows Image Acquasition. Something to do with your camera or scanner?

Maryp 20:41 23 Feb 04

How do you look for this in Win 98se? Havent got Manage in My Computer.

Do you mean event viewer? I'll look in my 98.

billy 20:49 23 Feb 04

I had a similar sounding problem it was the power supply that had gone. The only way I could tell was to take teh cover off and unplug some of the power connectors to the Motherboard and use a voltmeter to test the voltage. There was none and so I conldued the power meter was faulty. I think there is also a light on the motherboard to tell you if pwoered correctly. Your manual should help or the motherboard WEB site. My fal also worked so I thought for a while the power supply was OK.

Maryp 20:53 23 Feb 04

I sometimes have the same problem, computer starts a bit, then stops and wont do anything else. How can I see whats causing the problem

kinger 20:59 23 Feb 04

The powersupply might not be delivering the full 5volts for the board. Disconnect all connections and then reconnect them all again.

I've know a 'dodgy' connection be the cause of this...especially intermittent faults, and reseating all the plugs on the main processor board has cured the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…