PC doesn't see hd nor cd-rom

MichelleC 13:49 26 Nov 06

Son took out hd from daughter's pc (running w2k) and when put back it wouldn't boot up. Bios doesn't see hd, won't boot from cd, and asks for boot disc in floppy. It can't read boot disc from floppy. I've tried changing jumpers, checked all ribbons and cables. Bios hasn't got auto-detect hd option.

TOPCAT® 15:04 26 Nov 06

Why was the hard drive removed in the first place?

Have you tried setting the BIOS to its default settings? TC.

Ashrich 15:15 26 Nov 06

Check the ribbon cable has the red line on it's edge facing you when connected to the motherboard and the hard disk itself , this applies also for the CD .

Ashley

MichelleC 08:29 27 Nov 06

AMD 1.2, w2k, 80gb hd, 512ram. Hd was taken out and hooked up as slave on son's pc to take off data.
How to reset bios? (I went into bios and chose optimum settings.)
I'll check ribbons when I see daughter on Thurs.
Cheers guys.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:22 27 Nov 06

Check jumper refitted as master.

Follow the check list from click here its for seagate drives but the principle is the same for all ATA (EIDE) drives

Ex plorer 15:37 27 Nov 06

I think it may be best to set bios to default as TOPCAT says no expert but I reckon it would be set at that in the fist place.

ed-0 15:42 27 Nov 06

Do you know the make and model of the motherboard and hard drive? We may be able to help if you have to input the hard drives data manually.

Also if you get no joy with the hard drive and the cdrom together. Disconnect the cd rom drive and concentrate on the hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…