PC doesn't recognise CD drive

old-timer 15:07 12 Jun 03

Am trying to fix an old PC for a friend, whose hard disk has crashed.

Have installed new hard disk, and loaded DOS. However the CD drive is very old and will only work when connected to a sound card. I have done this and loaded a driver, which recognises the CD drive at boot up. However when I try to access drive D: I get 'Invalid drive specification'

I have set the device driver in Config.sys and set lastdrive to f.

The Bios only has 2 options for device d: Auto and User. I have tried both with no luck.

Any oldie out there who could help!!

goonerbill 21:48 12 Jun 03

keith-236785 09:13 13 Jun 03

i think you need to load the cdrom drivers as well as the sound card drivers (sound card drivers will detect the cdrom but will not enable it to work, just show it as there)

you should have a floppy disk labeled "cdrom drive installation disk"

if you dont have one let me know your e-mail address and i will send you the files for you to copy to a floppy

old-timer 12:22 14 Jun 03

After checking all the disks held by my mate, I did indeed find the drivers for the sound card (Soundblaster 16) and the CD drive. After loading drivers all working OK.

Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…