PC doesn't get passed POST, fans working, no beeps

soulgolem 05:19 14 Sep 09

Hello, I'm having a bit of a problem here, hope you can help me find what part of the computer is behind this.

For the past month, I've seen my computer restart on its own spontaneously about once or twice a week. Then yesterday I got home to a computer with a frozen window, mouse and keyboard not responding at all so I restarted but the computer would not start, the fans were working but no beeps and no monitor response.

Tried reseating the RAM and unplugging everything but the motherboard but still nothing, so I'm thinking it's either the motherboard or the PSU, but I really can't be sure and I can't really afford to buy both of those things in order to find out who the culprit is. So any help would be much appreciated.

Here are my computer specs or at least, those I couldn't find out :

ACER Aspire M5640-E5511A

- couldn't find the motherboard model/brand name
CPU : intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
RAM : 4GB DDRII
Video : integrated graphics
PSU : no idea.

Thank you,
Francis.

User-312386 06:38 14 Sep 09

Hi

Have you checked the cpu pin connectors are seated correctly? Disconnect the hard drives and then see if you get POST!

sharpamat 07:40 14 Sep 09

I would go for a faulty PSU in the first instance plus its cheaper than motherboard. If you look at your motherboard at the capicators, look for domeing at the top or leaks

soulgolem 01:10 18 Sep 09

Thanks you all.

Turns out it was the motherboard that fried, I changed it for an ASUS P5KPL-AM SE, and except for the front panel connections, everything went smoothly.

But since this new motherboard's been up and running the fans have been working crazy making them far from silent, does that mean any problem of some sort ?

Thanks,
Francis.

Les28 08:56 18 Sep 09

Maybe EIST , Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology, is not enabled in power options, these sites may explain how to check for and enable EIST, so that the processor is not running at full speed when idle

click here

click here;jsessionid=85D5E230B827C466D363B1E9D5373B07.node4COMS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced