PC does not recognise dvd drive

Dazed&Confused 15:01 31 Aug 06

Came to copy a cd this morning and for some reason my pc will only recognise the cd-rewriter but not my dvd-rom drive. The cd-rewriter was my E drive but is now shown as my D drive. I have a cd stuck in the dvd drive. What cd-rom should I use to reinstall the dvd drive as this came with the pc - I have the windows 98 cd and another which I was given when my pc was rebuilt.

dazwm 15:44 31 Aug 06

Firstly have you opened the case and seen if the connections are all ok?

If all connections are ok I fear your DVD drive may be faulty that is why windows is not recognising it.
If connections seem ok can you give us the make and model of the DVD drive.

Dazed&Confused 16:07 31 Aug 06

Thanks. I've not opened the case and the unit has not been moved so I'm assuming all connections are secure. It was working when I put the music cd in but then the pc froze. When I rebooted only one drive was recognised as I stated earlier. I have rebooted in safe mode and both drives are shown there. To find the drive info for you I will have to go back into safe mode so I'll get back to you shortly. Thanks again.

dazwm 16:12 31 Aug 06

Can you eject the CD? If not get a pin or paper clip and insert in the tiny hole at the front.

Dazed&Confused 16:39 31 Aug 06

Managed to get the cd out, thanks for the tip.

The dvd drive is: samsung DVD-ROM SD-608 and is usually my D drive

The rewriter is: NEC NR-7700A and is usually my E drive but is now showing as the D drive

Dazed&Confused 07:07 01 Sep 06

Well I've booted up this morning and the dvd drive is now showing in device manager and is also working again! A total mystery. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…