PC does not boot - no beep, no post

Hi everyone,
I have a problem with four identical pc's approximately 2 years old at work. Pentium 4, celeron 2.2, Bio-star U8668-D motherboard with 256 mb ram. When the pc is powered on all fans come on but get no beeb from computer. I checked all the connections, disconnected cd rom, floppy, hard disc etc. to no avail. I cleared cmos using jumper and managed to get pc to start. If left for a few minutes, it is a hit and miss affair for the pc to start. I have tried to replace cmos battery CR2032 but it has not made any difference.
If I try to start, I may have to make 5/6 attempts before I get the beep and post etc.
Does anyone here have any suggestions.

josie mayhem 21:28 18 Jan 06

I'm surprised that you have identical problems with all PC's. Sounds a bit like a power supply issue... If all your computers are acting in the same manner then is the mains electrical supply up to the job, have you added any other electrical equipment to the office electrical circuities?

You could try turning off any piece of equipment that is using the mains supply and then with just one computer switched on, see if you can get this up and running if you can I would consider calling a electrician in to sort out the mains supply.

I have in my time overloaded my mains electrical supply (a bungalow that was built in the early 60's so electrics wasn't up to ruining electrical goods of the 90's)turned the tumble dryer on, and blow SWEBS fuse and not my fuse box... Had to have SWEB come out and replace there fuse to get everything up and ruining again...

Hi Josie,
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion about mains power supply in the office. I don't think this is the case as I brought 2 of the machines home to check out and am having same problem at home. The part that puzzles me is that both will sometimes start up. I thought I had it sorted when I cleared the cmos, but it occurred again later.

woodchip 22:51 18 Jan 06

The PSU needs replacing it's failed

DieSse 23:15 18 Jan 06

4 systems with the same problem indicates some kind of common cause normally. Have you recently upgraded them all? - has there been a recent power or telephone line problem where they are normally situated? - or can you think of anything else?

It would be the most amazing co-incidence for similar fault to appear on 4 PCs at the same time in the same place.

Hi again,
Thanks to Woodchip and DieSse for your posts.

Woodchip
I wondered about the psu too. However I have one of those Antec PSU testers which I tried and the PSU passes the test. In your experience if the PSU has failed, could the pc start up sometimes. I might have to press the Power On button, wait for beep and post, when I get no beeb, Press the pOwer On button again to power off up to 5 or 6 times before a successful start up.
Thanks again.

woodchip 17:32 19 Jan 06

It may just be a weak PSU, As it sounds like from your last post, that components need to warm up before they work right. May be Carbon Resistors as these go high in value the more power that goes through them. I would suspect that to be the case hear. If you have a spare known working PSU try it.

Woodchip,
Thanks again for the advice. I'll try and source a replacement. Unfortunately the psu is a FSP-180-50NI(vfp) - mini-atx form factor and these seem to be much more difficult to source.

xania 19:47 19 Jan 06

The manufacturer of this PSU is click here

but this is only a 180 watt output, so this needs to be reviewed. Anyhow, you can get one here

click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…