pc does not boot

sak41 09:26 23 Sep 03

i am still having this problem with my PC not booting. I have managed to start the computer, but it comes up with the screen were it gives the options to start from normal mode or safe mode, it recomends to start in safe mode. The PC boots up in safe mode, however as i think i have managed to format the hard drive there is no software on it. When i restsrt the Pc it just hangs on the black screen. My operating system is windows ME. Please help!!

Ps i am a complete novice as you can probebly tell.

Bodi 09:36 23 Sep 03

on your computer - just the operating system, it might be worthwhile starting from scratch.

If you have a Windows 95/98 boot disk (floppy) boot your computer from this, and use the fdisk facility.

Once in fdisk, do ask follows:

1) Remove any logical partitions you have

2) Remove any extended partitions you have

3) Remove the primary partition.

Now restart fdisk, and go in opposite direction:

1) Create a primary partition*

2) Create an extended partition (if required)

3) Create logical partition (if required)

*If you have other partitions don't forget to make the primary partition active.

Having finished with fdisk - reboot.

On restart, still using the boot disk (floppy) format your C drive. Once formatted it should be ready for your operating system.

hope this helps

Bodi

Bodi 09:39 23 Sep 03

If you can boot from your CD-ROM drive, changing the order of boot devices in your BIOS, you should be able to do all the above from your ME installation disk. - I think.

Bodi

sak41 14:37 23 Sep 03

how or where do i get a windows 98 boot disc?

Bodi 16:21 23 Sep 03

Try using the installation CD. Change the boot options in the BIOS.

You should have boot options:ie. floppy, hard disc or CD Rom. Change this temporarily to CD-ROM and use you installation disk to fdisk and format your hard drive. I think this should work.

After (hopefully) a successful installation change your boot options in the BIOS back to what they were.

Bodi

woodchip 17:27 23 Sep 03

Remove all hardware like printers, scanners, modem, CD-Rom Drive plugs, leave CPU Memory and Floppy and Hard Drive then try reboot to see if it will go into windows

woodchip 17:28 23 Sep 03

PS if it does put one item at a time back in and reboot till you find what the problem is

Rayuk 18:01 23 Sep 03

Had a somewhat similar problem but progresing furtherclick here

Follow Spikeychris s instructions it may or may not fix your problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…